06 November 2011

BlunderCats

This is a serious chess blog...but today, not so much.

What do you get when you mix blunders and the ThunderCats?  BlunderCats!

(In part inspired by the Blunderstanding post from BDK and by the old/new ThunderCats series)


1. Lion-Oh-S&!%

Symptom:  Player makes his/her move and as the fingers leave the piece, he/she immediately sees the crushing move their opponent can make.

Remedy:  Sit on your hands before making your move.  Sometimes literally.  (The technical term is "falsifying" your move.)



2.  Cheat-ara

Symptom:  Player makes rapid-fire moves confidently, hoping to cheat their opponent into trusting they are all correct.

Remedy:  If you're their opponent, don't let them cheat you into believing they're right, calculate and make your moves normally.  If you're the one being Cheat-ara, maybe it is in fact the best way to try to swindle someone.



3.  Snarf-er

Symptom:  Takes all material possible, especially pawns.  What could be better?  And what could be wrong about it?

Remedy:  The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal.



4.  Chess for Tygra

Symptom:  Underperforming.  Don't have that competitive fire I need.

Remedy:  Chess for Tigers by Simon Webb



5.  Wily Kids

Symptom:  Your toughest opponents are half your size and/or a third of your age.  Dag-nab-it!

Remedy:  How to Beat Younger Players by GM Nigel Davies.  (My two cents: if you have tried-and-true openings, play them and also aim for middlegame and endgame structures that you're experienced with.)



6.  Panic-thro

Symptom:  There's absolutely no way I can take this guy.  Nooo wayyyy.

Remedy: Don't Panic.  Higher ratings aren't everything.  Enjoy the thrill of getting in the ring with the Big Bad.  Play your best game - you might even win.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Very good. I used to watch this show when I was a kid. I wasn't sure if anyone had even watched it besides my wife and I. I haven't seen it anywhere! Honestly, I think I could be several of these characters at different times,dpending on how I am feeling on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant chess admin! Very funny but also thoughtful. Blundercats reminds me that, years ago, my colleagues and i at university coined the term "sacriblunder" which referred to a terrible move that turned out have some unwitting benefits that were not at first apparent. Thunder cats ho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the ever popular unintentional sacrifice...it's not a blunder if you end up winning!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and ideas on chess training and this site are welcomed.

Please note that moderation is turned on as an anti-spam measure; your comment will be published as soon as possible, if it is not spam.